Thursday, November 22, 2007

a big change in situation

Just 1 week ago I was slacking around the house, with nothing to do in particular, besides surfing car forums and randomly applying for different jobs, wondering why time appeared to pass soo slowly.

Tomorrow, I will be reporting to Apple at Parkway Parade as a sales staff. Well, I may end up not working there at all, considering the sudden change of plans which I only found out this afternoon.

It all started on Sunday, where I saw the recruitment ad outside the yet to be opened Apple store at Parkway. I figured, hey wouldn't it be cool to be selling ipods and imacs..The next day I called the number and was told to go down to the Apple store at Funan to fill up an application form. That very day I made a trip down to fill up the form, and was told the interview was on the day itself.

I was not really mentally prepared, and definitely not dressed for the occasion (bermudas and army sandals) but decided to go for it anyway. The interview turned out pretty fine, although I was clearly stumbled when he asked me if I had any experience in sales or any tech knowledge in computers and such.

I had never touched an apple computer in my life nor used an Ipod mp3. I wasn't exactly a gadget geek either and all I could rely on was 'how i was willing to learn'..I was quite surprised the interview went positively went he told me he could give me a basic pay of $1000 (I quoted $700 based on my lack of experience and skill) and said he wanted me to work at Funan first to gain experience before sending me to Parkway.

The next day I received a phone call saying I could report to work as early as yesterday. I initially agreed but realised I still had other stuff to settle so I requested the change to Friday. And I was told to report to the new Parkway outlet directly. All the while I actually thought I had to work in Funan for about a month or so before going over. Apparently, it was 2 days not a month.

It seemed rather exciting to be working in the place I'm so familiar with. But subsequently doubt set in. I had no knowlege at all on Apple products and I knew that I would make a terrible salesman. In fact I applied for this position as a form of 'training' on my communication skills and also to boost my confidence. These 2 days I convinced myself that I'm going in for the training and it'll be cool to work for the company which produces the world's best selling mp3s and funky looking computers. But the uncertainty and lack of knowlege of what would happen on the actual day itself sometimes made me think twice.

Well. This afternoon I received an email from the English head of CCHSM asking me to give her a call. She told me she had a vacancy for an english teacher and was keen on letting me fill the role. I agreed on the phone. It was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Although I was thoroughly trying to convince myself on the Apple job all along, this job was way better in terms of too many aspects. In fact, relief teaching was the first thought on my mind when I was thinking of a job.

The apple job came way too fast and I realised I had rushed into it without knowing what I really wanted. True, it would be good training since I'll be plunged into a totally new environment and situation altogether, but I just couldn't convince myself that I will be totally comfortable in such a role. This teaching job came along as somewhat of a helpline.

So it's up to me tomorrow to find out more about the terms and conditions of the sales job. If they required a one month advance notice on resignation and there was no such thing as working 1 month part time, then bye bye Apple.

No comments: