Saturday, July 26, 2008

One of the best birthdays

Officially 21 years of age today. 21 seems to be the age of transition, the age when society takes you more seriously and the time when cinemas open all their doors to you.

This birthday has been nothing short of special. The surprises had started pouring in on Thursday, when 3DL turned my lesson into a birthday celebration cum farewell. I'll be lying if I said I didn't suspect anything at all. Afterall, it was a lesson after recess and a sizable number of students were missing, very unlike the class. The instructions to clap were audible to me too but the moment when the cake was brought in felt really sweet.

Later in the day, D also surprised me with a box of pleasant things that meant a lot to me. It was a quaint little package done up in over an afternoon. Let's just say a part of it almost moved me to tears. I was taken aback by the ease at how tears welled up as it has never happened before, at least not in the movies. My self proclaimed emotional stability has been seriously undermined. Based on the D's gift solely, it could very well be the best birthday ever.

Friday evening was great too, as I met up with friends from the car forum for dinner and gathering at Tiong Bahru Market. They had a cake for me too and great food and company ruled the night.

Saturday morning was spent plucking wild grass from the front lawn while the later part of the day was spent with D at Kbox. The birthday package granted me a discount and a complimentary cake. Although the texture tasted really cheap and the blueberry was more like jam than anything else, D and I managed to plough through about 1/4 of it and I packed the rest home. Had some mildly filling yet satisfying pasta at Waraku for dinner.

I had another surprise as I reached home. Realised mum had walked all the way to Parkway to get a Black Forest cake for me. We waited for dad to return before celebrating. Especially meaningful it was, as I vaguely recall the last time my parents and I got together for cake cutting was like 10 years ago. It was never a habit so it felt strange at first. But in the end it still felt really meaningful. Mum claims 21 is a milestone and it is in a way, symbolic to celebrate it in the new house.

Going to have a look at Ice the Golden Retriever with my parents tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to get it. It'll truly be a nice addition to the family.

No comments: