Monday, May 19, 2008

what have i been doing ..

Looks like I've been MIA for a while. Have been returning home late lately hence wasn't in the mood to do anything that required my brain. I'm not really implying that blogging consumes brain cells, just that I just felt like just chilling out in front of the comp and do some casual surfing and chatting. As always.

Anyways, what really happened in the past 2 weeks or so was the mid year examinations. No lessons but was really busy with the marking I had to do. First came the 120 scripts of English essays which I duly completed in about a week after which literature came in.

Well, literature marking tested my limits to say the least. Only 3 teachers marking the entire level, which left each with a section of the paper. 12 classes..an average of about 35 students per class and that meant I had to plough through about 700 scripts.

All to be done in slightly less than a week. Hence, a target of 2 classes a day was set. The task was daunting, but once the answers were programmed in your head, it wasn't as difficult as it seemed. It was just mentally taxing, and I forgot the number of incidences when I stared at a script and went blank.

Now that the mid years and marking are over, it is also about time my contract ends. After this long weekend, it's only Tuesday and Wednesday of offical lessons before I join the secondary 2s on their level camp until Sunday. Contract officially ends on the 23rd May.

I've kinda grown to love the job and the people, especially all my students. It will be a cliche to say how time has flown over the past months but it's true. I believed I've told myself several times and I believe I've stated somewhere in this blog, that I'll persevere with this job no matter how tough it got. I'm glad I did. Oh well.

This assignment has also been a meaningful one. It is my first job and one big step from the confines of NS to the outside world. I have gone into the job hoping to improve my confidence and public speaking skills and I'm sure I have accomplished that. Teaching english and literature has also increased my exposure and interest towards the subjects and put me in the shoes of my mother. I have met new people and also got the chance to pass on my knowledge, no matter how limited it is/was.

Most importantly, it is through this job that I have met her. And that will make it as memorable and meaningful as it will be.

Well.. I'll be back in school for 1 week in July and it's off to uni I go. New phase, new people, yet how I wish I didn't have to leave this comfort zone.

No comments: