Friday, May 30, 2008

about the camp

Obviously, there wasn't any internet connection at the resort and there wasn't television too. I'm not complaining for at least that put us closer to nature and less reliant on technological conveniences and comfort. It's supposed to be called Rainforest Resort, so it's a pretty good excuse to exclude television from the list of resort room features. Ha ha..well at least there were powerpoints and a proper shower head.

I slept better there. Probably much earlier than the time I would sleep back home. I guess the beds and air conditioner helped quite a bit. There wasn't MSN to keep me awake too. Really quite a refreshing change from my nightly routine. I had long forgotten how sleeping and waking up early felt. However, now that I'm back in Singapore, I probably sleep late anyways.

Let's all not forget that I was there on a secondary 2 level camp, so the focus generally was on the sec 2s and not on how I enjoyed my escape from the city. I don't feel like elaborating on the details of the events or activities, mainly because I'm lazy and I don't want to bore you repeatedly on how this activity and that is a fantastic way to improve teamwork or simply overcome your fear of heights and building confidence blah blah.

Let's just say I was always constantly reminded of my own level camps back then, which I wasn't too pleased of and didn't particularly enjoy. I wasn't exactly the most outgoing kid and lacked quite a bit of self faith and overloading on cowardice. Being slightly pudgy didn't help things one bit. It wasn't really fun being me when you were in camps like these, which required huge doses of enthusiasm and some really thick skin sometimes.

Well, I was probably brimming with 'nostalgia' when the group I was in charge of attempted to carry me through a huge tyre and I guess that was the closest I could get to reliving the good ol' days. And I wasn't too happy about that either because they said I was heavy. Bah. Yeah, I'm sour. Haha.

The highest point of the camp was probably I going down to the lake for kayaking. Yep, paddling in a long, red kayak around a large, circular lake in circles, intentionally and unintentionally. I insist I was in control most of the time and my lowly 1 star badge in kayaking at least helped me stay afloat while I fiddled around with the paddle in a noobish fashion. Other times, I was just 'using the force' and ended up crashing into the sides a couple of times. Luckily I didn't capsize which would be extremely embarrasing. I also have a fear of capsizing, having broken the capsizing record when I was taking up the course.

I guess I've had enough talking about the camp. Not exactly a full fledged description of what exactly happened but I just decided to talk about stuff that I related to more. Overall, it was a really relaxing activity for me and I hope, an enriching one for my students.

Hmm, going to the airport later to send her off. Feeling a tad empty now. I guess 3 weeks is a rather long time for me in this situation and I'll truly miss her. But I'll make a trip down in the middle of the month though. Who's coming?

No comments: