Thursday, August 9, 2007

what are we up to?

Almost a week ago on Saturday, I went on a uncomfortably long road trip from Suntec City to Pasir Ris, somehow circled the entire perimeter of Changi Airport, and ended up lost while doing some mindless circling. Later it was all the way back to Kallang.

You see, my best friend had bought a present for a girl and requested me to drive him to Pasir Ris to hand it to the girl. I have no issue with that. He's my buddy and I'm willing to crazy shit like this. =)

So we decided to take the route on the ECP all the way up to the Changi Airport direction to Pasir Ris, where the girl stays. We ended up taking the long way along the airport perimeter. Later, we sorta got lost and circled pretty much around the Changi Village, chalet areas..

It was kind of draining and boring because most of the roads we travelled were dark and litted dimly by street lamps. It did not help that I was terribly unfamiliar with that area. It actually seemed fun at first, but all the continuous driving soon made me tired and frustrated.

Actually I'm ok with all this, I mean if I was in my friend's shoes, I would also love someone to help me convey my feelings to the important someone in the fastest and most surprising way possible. I would also have felt that appearing at the void deck of the girl I had a crush on late at night just to pass her a present would seem sweet.

The thing is..he did not even manage to see the girl and only left it at a place where she could collect later on. Her parents didn't allow her to go downstairs.

I'm not implying that it wasn't worth it or anything. The whole trip made me feel a tinge of deja vu and there was a little frustration going on within me. It reminded me of the times when I put in so much effort in choosing a birthday present for the girl I like, then mustering enough courage to give it to her.

And it seemed a rather big thing to me back then. Going around shopping excitedly for a suitable present where budget was the last thing on my mind..then writing a card or personalising the gift to make sure she likes it. Finally gathering the courage to pass it to her, hoping at the back of your mind that she adores it.

It all boiled down to nothing anyway. It was useless if she didn't have the slightest interest for you.

So having to go through the whole road trip helping my best friend accomplish something he wasn't even sure would succeed was certainly a bit frustrating on my part. The feeling was hard to describe..a bit helpless, a bit familiar.

Oh well, I hope I at least made a difference.

No comments: