Wednesday, September 12, 2007

i love my grandma

Today, my grandma cried in front of me. The last time she did so was when my grandpa died. I was mildly taken aback when tears started welling in her eyes as she talked to me.

She was telling me about how life was so tough in the past when she broke down. Told me a lot I didn't know much about before.

She told me that it was so difficult raising 6 children that she gave away the 7th, who is still one of my favourite aunts. My grandpa's paycheck, she said, was only enough for food but couldn't buy other necessities like clothes for the family let alone education for the children. So she had to go out to do laundry and housework for others for a meagre sum. She said she came home at 3am and went out to work at 5am.

Life was tough but she still managed to make enough money to send most of her children to tertiary, including my mum to university. Even though cash was tight, she worked even harder. To her, education was first. She told me it was a tough decision giving away 1 child but she had to so she could provide quality education to the other 6. It was certainly better than being unable to provide for 7.

I've been going back to see her quite often. I don't know why I didn't do so last year or when I was in junior college. Probably it's because I have much more free time this year and I'm driving. I do realise I still have a lot to learn from her and I'm probably going to do so for as long as I can.

No comments: